Student Medical Insurance
Information for Enrolling in the Student Insurance Plan
- Graduate Assistantship
- Graduate Assistantship with Dependents
- Graduate Students
- Undergraduate Students
At the Student Medical Insurance office, we are interested in your well-being and we want you to succeed during your time at Virginia Tech. Our staff members can assist you by:
Explaining important Virginia Tech health insurance requirements.
Clarifying the often-confusing language of insurance (e.g. what's a co-pay? an "in network" provider?).
Talking with you about Virginia Tech’s Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
We are not an insurance company. We are the customer service office for Virginia Tech's Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
If you are a participant in SHIP
We can meet with you to discuss your plan benefits.
We can help you submit claims.
If you are not a participant in SHIP
We will do our best to point you in the right direction to get answers to your questions.
Every plan works differently, so your own plan's administrator will be the expert to whom you will turn.
We're here to help!
Please e-mail, call or stop by our Student Services Building to confer with our staff.
Monday through Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm (closed for lunch from Noon to 1pm)
Highlights of the plan include:
Enhanced Benefits when used with Schiffert Health Center
Coverage anywhere – at school, home or traveling and through the summer
Access to the travel assistance services including emergency assistance – available 24/7.
Access to Aetna’s nationwide network of health care professionals
At Virginia Tech, domestic students are encouraged, but not required, to have personal health insurance. International students and Veterinary Medicine students are required to have health insurance either through the school Student Health Insurance Plan or a comparable plan. Eligible Graduate Assistants wishing to use the health care subsidy must enroll in the Virginia Tech Student Health Insurance Plan.
- Women' s Contraceptive Drugs and Devices List
- 2015-2016 Aetna Plan/brochure
- 2015-2016 Student Health Plan Guide
- 2016-2017 Benefits as a Glance
- 2015-2016 International On Call Travel Assistance Program Details
- 2016-2017 Graduate Subsidy Dependents Payroll Deductions
- 2016-2017 Cost Chart for Student Medical Insurance
- 2016-2017 Dental cost chart
- 2016-2017 Fall International Waiver
- 2016-2017 VMCVM Proof of Insurance Waiver
- 2016-2017 Denied Waiver Appeal
- 2016-2017 Student Insurance Plan Modifications (SHIP)
- Specialty Drug Info
- EOB Guide
- Schiffert Health Center Walk-Out Statement
- Vet Med Insurance Requirements
- Sample Claim Form
For your convenience the Student Medical Insurance office is located at the
Student Services Building; Room 110.
The hours of operation are 8:00am – Noon and 1:00pm – 5:00pm.
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org