Controller's Office

Insurance & Risk Management

Incident Reports and Claims Procedures

Quick Navigation: Automobile Incidents | Property Incidents | Personal Injuries or Accidents to Participants | Injuries to Employees and Volunteers | Allegations, Accusations or Suspicion of Abuse/Molestation | Emergency Procedures for Deaths and or Serious Multiple Injuries

2.1 Automobile Incidents

Any accident involving a university and/or state licensed vehicle or rental vehicle must follow very specific reporting requirements. This is true whether the accident was our representative's fault or another’s' fault, or involving property damage only. Accidents involving rental vehicles being used for personal travel will not be covered by university insurance. If a rental vehicle is used for personal travel (sightseeing, etc.) during university sanctioned travel, it is not covered by the University’s insurance during that use. It is recommended that individuals review their personal coverage or other options in order to ensure continuous coverage during this time period.

There are no insurance restrictions regarding university vehicles. Therefore, it is recommended that any person driving a university vehicle first meet the following conditions:

a) Have a valid drivers license.

b) Have no serious driving offenses related to the purpose for which they are going (which could include such offenses as speeding, driving under the influence, driving without a license, etc.) to use the vehicle. This information may be requested directly of the driver or you may request the driver to provide you with a Division of Motor Vehicle Report.

c) Have department approval to use the vehicle.

Accidents involving personal vehicles, even when being used for business purposes, are the responsibility of the owner. All accidents must be reported to the insurer of the vehicle. The university does maintain non-owned and hired automobile liability coverage, which is excess over personal coverage. This insurance would only apply if the personal automobile liability limits were exhausted and Virginia Tech was determined to be liable because the representative was conducting university business. Therefore if a university representative uses their personal vehicle for Virginia Tech business you may want to ask the same questions as listed above.

Guidelines to follow when you have an accident in a state vehicle or a rental vehicle are covered in Section 2.1.1.

2.1.1 Claims Forms and How To File A Claim

View Instructions

View Automobile Accident Report

View "How to Report an Automobile Accident" Video

2.2 Property Incidents

The state's insurance provides full coverage, less a $1,000 deductible, for loss of property due to theft, vandalism, etc. or destruction by wind, water, freeze, etc. Any loss or damage to University property should be reported in accordance with the checklists outlined in this document. This program provides coverage for any property in transit. Personal property is not covered by Virginia Tech.


Property of others under the care, custody and control of Virginia Tech is insured the same as owned property. In order for this property to be covered there must be a document on file, completed before the date of loss, showing Virginia Tech has this responsibility.

All sudden and accidental losses or damage to Virginia Tech property should be reported immediately. Typical losses include theft, vandalism, water damage, wind damage, floods, lightning damage, etc. The guidelines for reporting property incidents are described in Section 2.2.1.

2.2.1 How To File a Claim

View Property Loss or Damage Checklist.

Download Property Loss or Damage Checklist as WORD file.

2.3 Personal Injuries or Accidents to Participants or Volunteers

Accident/incident reports are not required for minor injuries such as scrapes, bruises, sprains, etc. The accident/incident report is required for serious illnesses, significant behavioral problems or accidents involving injuries like fractured bones, chipped or broken teeth, extensive lacerations involving sutures, falls involving unconciousness, dislocations, incidents involving water which require resuscitation, or any injury requiring a hospital stay.

This accident/incident report is always required when the procedures outlined on the emergency response card (see Section 2.5) are initiated.

If the report is completed, a copy should be faxed to the Risk Management Office at 540-231-5064 with the original mailed as soon as possible. If any additional information is needed, you will be contacted by the Risk Management Office.

2.3.1 Incident Report

Download Accident/Incident Report Form as WORD file.

2.4 Injuries to Employees or Volunteers

Employees who are injured may be eligible for workers compensation. All claims must be filed on a Employers First Report of Accident form. Please use the original forms which are brown. Copies are not acceptable. Questions concerning workers compensation should be referred to Personnel Services-Workers Compensation at 540-231-7778.

Volunteers who are injured are not covered by workers compensation. Any injuries to volunteers are their responsibility and must be covered by their personal healthcare insurance policy. Injuries to volunteers as described in Section 2.3 require completion and submittal of the Accident/Incident Report Form.

2.4.1 Workplace Safety

Any issues relating to workplace safety should be referred to Environmental Health and Safety Services-Occupational Safety Division at 540-231-5985.

2.4.2 Workers Compensation Claim Form

Reporting Work Related Injuries

2.5 Allegations, Accusations or Suspicion of Physical/Sexual Abuse, Molestation

Be aware of the laws of the Commonwealth (Section As described in the law, any representative in a professional capacity involving the education or care of children who has reason to suspect that a minor is an abused or neglected child, shall report the matter immediately to the local Social Services Department of the county or city wherein the child resides or wherein the abuse or neglect is believed to have occurred or to the Department of Social Services Toll-free child abuse and neglect hotline 1-800-552-7096.

A suspicion is when there is a reasonable cause to believe that any individual has been abused or neglected.

If you have suspicion ( i.e. reason to suspect ) that any physical/sexual abuse or molestation has occurred to anyone of any age call the appropriate law enforcement officials immediately. If there is any doubt, call.


The Department of Social Services will use the following criteria in determining if a complaint is valid.

1) the child must be under the age of 18 at the time of the complaint.
2) the alleged abuser must be the child's parent or caretaker.
3) the report must be made in the city or county where the child lives, where the abuse occurred, or, if neither of these is known, where the abuse is discovered.
4) the circumstances must meet the state definition of abuse and neglect.

To assist you in determining if your allegation is a suspicion that something did occur, the following key indicators from the Virginia Department of Social Services are provided:

1. PHYSICAL ABUSE ; Questionable bruises, welts, burns, fractures, lacerations or abrasions.

2. PHYSICAL NEGLECT ; Begging or stealing food, extended stays away from home, fatigue or frequently tardy from school.

3. SEXUAL ABUSE ; Difficulty in walking; torn, stained or bloody clothing; bleeding or bruises in external genitalia, vaginal or anal area.

4. EMOTIONAL ABUSE ; Habits disorders, destructive, sleep disorders, behavior extremes or self-destructive.

If you have an allegation or an accusation, you should react in the following manner:

  • Do not panic.
  • Do not criticize anyone involved and remain objective.
  • Respect the privacy of all those involved.
  • Separate those involved.

Conduct discussions with those involved, those making the allegations or accusations, and those against whom the allegations or accusations are made (if appropriate), and document in writing their account of the alleged incident. Always have a witness present.

If the allegation or accusation develops into a suspicion (and involves a minor) that some incident has occurred, notify Social Services immediately. When in doubt call. If the incident involves abuse or neglect of a minor, also notify police. Individuals under the age of 18 are considered to be minors.

If the authorities have been notified, then the parents or guardians (if appropriate) of any minor in our care and custody who are involved in the incident must be notified immediately. If after the discussions are conducted there is no suspicion of an incident occurring, the parents may still be contacted and informed of the incident and the action taken.

Once the authorities are contacted, cooperate fully. However make no statements or turn over any information to anyone other than Social Services, the police, a supervisor, Virginia Tech Legal Counsel, Virginia Tech University Relations or Virginia Tech Risk Management. Confidentiality is to be maintained permanently. Nothing should be discussed with a spouse or a co-worker. Only those mentioned above should be involved.

2.6 Emergency Procedures for Deaths And Serious Multiple injuries.

A card outlining procedures to be followed in the event of serious accidents or emergencies involving multiply injuries or life threatening incidents or fatalities has been developed. This card may be carried by any Virginia Tech representative. Each representative should insert the appropriate telephone numbers for their area.

In the event those listed on the card cannot be contacted you should contact the Virginia Tech Police and ask for their assistance in reaching those individuals.

Anyone needing recommendations on providing counseling services for those parties involved should contact their local Mental Health agency for advice.

Additional copies of the card may be obtained by contacting Risk Management.

A copy of the card is as follows:

Emergency Procedures Card

Emergency Trauma Debriefing Procedures

If you have been involved in a serious incident/accident, you and your colleagues may need counseling or assistance to deal with the trauma resulting from the incident. It is highly recommended that you seek debriefing assistance through the State Employee Assistance Service (SEAS) at 1-800-388-4180. All representatives of Virginia Tech are eligible for these services, including salaried, full-time classified, wage employees, volunteers and their family members.

The debriefing process is a discussion of facts and feelings surrounding one or more stressful events. It is not a critique, but rather a confidential process to provide education about normal and abnormal stress responses, and methods for identifying and practicing coping strategies.